Make the most of the last few weeks of in-person learning.
It’s been a long, hard road, but now that many of you are back in school, it’s time to make the most of what remains of the school year.
There are three important things you need to focus on to fully take advantage of the next few weeks: building relationships with your teachers, maintaining your grades, and reconnecting with classmates.
Building Teacher Relationships
In order to get to know your teachers in a different way, and help them get to know you better, you have to be proactive. No sitting back passively like you did on Zoom. You need to participate in class. Here are a few things you can do to start building those relationships:
- Sit near the front if possible (with restrictions, this might not be possible).
- Raise your (actual) hand.
- Ask and answer questions.
- LOOK like you’re interested.
- Your eyes should be moving from your notes to your teacher, not around the room.
- Go to in-person office hours if they are offered.
- Greet your teachers in the hall by name.
Your goal here is to show your teachers that you are intellectually curious and that you appreciate the learning opportunities they are offering you.
Maintaining your Grades
It is very likely that classes are going to become more challenging now that they are in-person again. Most teachers have been more lenient with online learning, but that will change.
- Stay organized. Keep a detailed planner of daily assignments so you don’t miss anything.
- Plan ahead. Prepare for tests and quizzes well in advance, and get to work on larger assignments so you don’t fall behind.
Reconnecting with Classmates
And of course, you need to reconnect with your classmates. While you may have stayed in touch with close friends, it’s time to branch out.
- Reconnect with 4 or 5 friends you didn’t stay connected with. Have lunch together, or spend some time with them during free periods.
- Get social, as long as you stay safe. Get together with small groups.
- Make a new friend or two, particularly any kids who might be new to your class.
- Join a new club that you’ll enjoy.
Overall, your goal is to transition quickly back into a more normal life.
So enjoy the next few weeks, but stay focused. Summer is right around the corner!